Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Thrifty Goodness and a Little Makeup Haul

You know, I love reading blogs. As a matter of fact, sometime this week I would love to introduce you all to a few of my bloggy friends that I enjoy (stay tuned for that..)! Another thing I adore are posts about the goodies found in our beloved thrift stores. So I want to share all of the things that I love that are frequently shared with me!

My latest Thrifty Trip was not only fun, but I really acquired some cute stuff. Here's a photo of the bulk of it;

Photobucket
The button down on the left is a TJ Maxx goodie, with the tags still attached. I snatched it up so fast I almost made myself dizzy. It wasn't even all that busy in the store, so I don't know who I thought I had to swipe it from :) It's really an awesome top. It's in a large so I know I'll be able to adjust wherever needed, but it still has the roomy comfortable quality that I love. It's just so versatile. My mind's already reeling of all the ways I can wear it. I'll definitely do an OOTD post on this very soon.

Chunka was the one who actually spotted the books. There were 4 in a plastic packet for 99 cents. I never ever ever say no to a request for a book. I had no idea what they actually were. From first glance they looked so awesome, I was excited to google away when we got home.

Photobucket

They're called Doraemon. Wikipedia says it was a Japanese series about a robotic cat (goes perfect with our recent cat theme huh?) named Doraemon.

Photobucket

You read the books from the back to the front, which is so cool! They're in both Japanese and English. I can't wait to display them in Chunka's room. Awesome conversation pieces.

Photobucket

Jalaya and her friend Bri couldn't put them down. (BTW our house has become the haven for sleepovers. I love it! Kids are so inspiring, don't you think?)

Photobucket

I usually wouldn't buy these in the store, because I love to make them myself, but for 50 cents, you can't beat it. Especially since the Cheer Girls are very much into wacky headbands and barrettes for Jalaya's practice. There was also a 3rd one we bought, a blue Hello Kitty, FANTABULOUS!

Photobucket

UGH!! I took the photos after the sun had gone down, and also on a red blanket. Huuuuuge mistake. This dress is such a great print, but it doesn't really show through with the red underneath it. The dress is meant to look dip dyed, it has rich oranges, purples and blacks melting together. The dress is also a super soft cotton, and lined as well. It's another one I'll have to photo on. I also have to refashion it a bit. I'm not fond of the straps, so I'll surely remove them. I'll figure out how I want to tweak the rest very soon. The colors are fall-friendly I think, so I can see myself wearing it with tights, boots, and my rugged leather.

Photobucket

These jeans are another fashion item I can cross off of my list (colored jeans). They're light blue skinnies. I'm not going to rock them in the current color however, I'm going to dye them a darker hue. I haven't decided whether or not I want to cut them into shorts, or leave them to welcome me into cooler temperatures. The latter sounds like a better idea, even though I'm sure you cannot have too many pairs of cut off jeans :D

Photobucket
This crop top isn't for me. It's dancewear for my little chick. For those of you with girls in any sort of dance, you know the apparel gets a little steep. I'm planning on making the bulk of it, since the new addition of my serger to the family, but this top was too good to pass up. The top is Balera brand, raglan sleeve, and off the shoulder. It's much too large for Jalaya, but I'll tweak it so she can get use out of it for the next few years. Our favorite part are the holes at the end of the sleeves for her little thumbs to poke through. Like mother like daughter, she has to have her sleeves readily available to her hands at all times.

Photobucket
These adorable hats are also another find for Jalaya, Aidie got a bunch of bucket hats too, but he ran off with them as soon as we walked in the front door. You can see how cute they are in the photos above.

True to form, I had to make a Wal-Mart run before coming home. While I was there, I made my usual run through the makeup aisle. I wanted to try a lipstick/gloss that was extended wear. I'm thinking that the formulas have to be a little better now then they were before, always drying my lips out. So I got 2. I also grabbed a Hard Candy Skin Perfecting Primer as well.
Photobucket
I decided that to give the lips a try I would buy the 2 brands in more neutral colors for consistent wear. One is Revlon ColorStay Overtime Lipcolor in Bare Maximum. The other is Maybelline Super Stay 24 Color in So Pearly Pink. Maybelline has 2 ends just like the Revlon, one is apparently the primer if you will, the other is the color. Right off the bat I didn't like that the Middle part where the 2 ends connect makes up the bulk of the product. There really isn't much there. The way I go through gloss...wow...this wasn't exactly a thrifty purchase for me. We'll see how it works however. I'll do a full review once I have a few days of use. A video perhaps?

Now it's your turn, any recent thrifty finds? Or, makeup that you just can't live without?

xoxo,

Jamie Lee

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

6 comments:

  1. i love thrift stores!!! u can find so beautiful and unique stuff there and nobody else will wear it, and i often put my own stuff there when i need more space;) u really found nice things!!
    thank u for your lovely comment! u really should get a floppy hat, would look great with this dress u got in the thrift store!
    love and kiss,mary

    http://maryloucinnamon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI DEAR...
    your blog is fantastic...i like it so much...
    btw watch the Tommy Hilfigher video at my blog...
    http://2befab.blogspot.com/2011/07/contest-preppy-look-tommy-hilfiger.html
    and tell me what do you think about the preppy...
    ;)
    xoxo2befab

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm gonna do a post soon (maybe tonight if I can be arsed !) with the makeup I recently got =)
    But the thing I couldn't live without is probably mascara and concealer ! I have HUGE PURPLE dark circles -___-

    This hard Candy thing looks like a nice thing to try out =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find it really hard to find good thrifted stuff. I really have to make time and space to think about what I wanna buy and wanna go for!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The H&M chocolate mask is more of a little cheap treat (£ 0.99!!) that a real mask. It does leave my skin really soft after I rince it but it doesn't work amazingly either ^^
    I just mainly like it for the smell and because it's really cheap :p
    You should give it a go one day but don't be surprised if it doesn't do much for your skin =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome finds Jamie. I would SOOO love to visit your fave thrift store, it looks like they have some great stuff.

    ReplyDelete