Thursday, August 4, 2011

Fun Treasures

Some of you less cat-friendly people are going to roll your eyes at these next few photos, but bear with me. I promise to be the same way when I finally get a puppy. Even more so :)

I went home for a small overnight trip a few weeks ago. While I was there, I stopped down to my Grandma Billie's old house and picked up a nightstand that had been rolling around in my brain for quite awhile. I also picked up a few of her vintage kitty figurines. I remember she had them all in a bookcase type stand with glass in the front (which is still down there, and burning through my redo file as well). As a little girl I would pull them out of the case and line them up. Grandma Billie loved Cats. I remember pouring through her Cat Fancy magazines all the time. That's probably why I have such an insane knowledge of all things cat related. They were my study guides while staying with Gram.
Photobucket
Photobucket
This Gorgeous Siamese cat is actually a perfume bottle. Avon made these, this particular one contained Moonwind Cologne. This was a great source of fascination for me as a child. Aren't those blue rhinestone eyes fab? I do believe my grandmother had 2 of these, however, they were wrapped in a box in her attic. In 90 degree weather, it wasn't easy on me being up there digging around, so I'll have to go back next time and check.
Photobucket
There are 3 of these little kitties. Have you noticed the trend? Gram had siamese cats for my entire childhood. They were MEAN. Beautiful, but nasty. I have a scar on my wrist still to this day from being bit by one of them. Anyway, the figurines above are another part of the collection she had.
Photobucket
I believe that my Gram made the little pearl necklace on this kitty. They're so precious!

On another note, the nightstand I brought home ended up having a bunch of pictures in the top drawer. They were mostly of my mother when she was a child. They made me squeal with delight!! With all the editing software we have these days to make our photos look just like the ones I was holding in my hand do? Amazing! I have to share these with you.

Photobucket
Photobucket
I cannot express to you how much I adore this photo. This is my mom at 8 years old. Same age my Jalaya is right now.
Photobucket
You know you love the tinsel tree!
Photobucket
Photobucket

Hope you enjoyed those as much as I do!

xoxo,

Jamie Lee

4 comments:

  1. your mom is so adorable! the cats too :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my god this kittie figurines are so cute!!! i hope the real ones are fine too;) and your mum looked like a little angel!!! so weet!!!
    love and kiss,mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Kitties and photos! So wonderful for us to have granny's things, always bring lovely memories. Priceless!

    Thank you for leaving a sweet note for me on my blog, really appreciate it. And thank you so much for putting my button on your blog. So sweet of you! Have a great week!

    love,mongs
    mythriftycloset.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have one of the Avon, Cat with blue eyes perfume bottle. It was given to me by my grandmother several years back. They named it "Samantha" Because, she has a Siamese kitty when my mother was younger, named Samantha. My Granny use to sell Avon. I believe that is when she acquired it.

    I love the bottle, but I would never use any of the perfume that is left in the bottle.

    ReplyDelete