Thursday, July 7, 2011

My First Flower Garden, & My Summer Wreath

I'm so very proud of myself for breaking out of my old negative thinking that I had a 'black thumb' as I liked to refer to my lack of plant raising skills. Every woman in my family on both sides could grow a lemon tree in the dead of winter. I realized that my inability to grow things and/or keep them alive was more due to my inattentiveness than my thumbs. So, with the help of my dear Barbie, who bagged up a ton of perennials, and brought them to my house. I started my very first flower garden.






this is the flower bed on the right side of my house (looking up) Salvia lines the front, there are lilies planted behind them behind that is a pot of something that Barbie had brought to me, but, I forgot to ask her what it was, so that is yet to be determined. I'll show some closer photos of it, and if any of you know, don't hesitate to comment. It's a beautiful plant though. On the left side of the little garden I planted 2 different kinds of Hosta, which I discovered this year, are insanely easy to grow. My metal flower is just something I fell in love with at the dollar tree. You can't
beat that!



Photobucket

This is the plant I was referring to. I love it, I do need to plant it in the ground, but I placed it right in front of the big TREE that's growing on the side of my house. Everything I've planted has run me ragged pulling roots from all of these trees!



This Hosta Plant was given to me by our Uncle Emmett. He gave it to me in one of the cement flower pots you'll see in a few pics down, it took so well when I planted it in the ground. I'm excited it's flowering. I need to fix the mulch issue though :)





This pot is gorgeous! Given to me by Uncle Emmett, Hosta (my favorite kind) is from Barbies garden, and Petunias are from Wal-Mart. There's a matching one on the other side of the front door as well. Oh, and don't mind that bag, it's full of sanding supplies for yet anotherproject I'm working on. Somehow, I didn't even seeit when I was taking the photo. Talk about one track mind.





This little pot of Impatients is just precious. They were given to me by my lovey June (whom we refer to as June-Bug). She's my next door neighbor, I was touched she gave them to me, I think I take extra special good care of them because they're from her.




geranium




Here are the Geraniums I had mentioned in my last post. This photo shows all the buds that are about to spring into flowers. I'll take an updated photo today because they are so full now!! I have the rest of the ones that came in the huge pot planted in elsewhere in pots on my cement steps.

There's so much more, I still have the whole other side of the house to show you. Also the Endless Summer Hydrangea that I got at Wal-mart for $7 because it was dying. I'll show you more tomorrow. I do want to show you the summer wreath I have hanging on my door. This is what it looked like before:



summer wreath

I bought this wreath at the thrift store last fall. It had a few gaudy fake flowers on it, and some plastic pumpkins. I took them all off and make a Christmas wreath with glass bulbs, and lights, it was fantastic (however, the photos of the Christmas wreath are missing in action)


summer wreath



I spray painted the wreath an awesome turquoise color (I'll update the brand and the exact color name when I find the can) then I made fabric flowers out of some scraps I had laying around, and a fat quarter of fabric that I bought for 75 cents at Walmart. I hot glued them to the wreath and dug around my stash for the big buttons. Finished it off with that. I hung it on the door, but then I didn't like the hanger for the wreath, it was a faded brass color. So I spray painted it the lime green color you see above, nothing is safe from my spray paint can.

There are so many more projects to share with you..Hope you all have a wonderful evening!

Love,
Jamie Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment